Presbyterian Church of Gassaway
The first meeting of the Presbyterians of Gassaway was held at the home of Mrs. Ida B. Johnston late in 1905 for the purpose of organizing a church. The Reverend R.E. Steel, pastor of Sutton Presbyterian Church presided at the meeting, and testimonials of membership were presented from fifteen persons, most of whom were present. The letters all being in proper form, those present entered into the required covenant and proceeded to elect Charles M. Ritchie, clerk and elder, and James A. Paterson and W. Kent Harper deacons.
The next session of the church was held January 7, 1906 at the home of Mrs. Ida B.
Johnston. On April 4, 1906 the members met at the office of the Bank of Gassaway, at which various reports were filled out and forwarded to the proper officers of the Presbytery. Prior to the building of a church family worship was held in the homes of the members. Assisted by the ladies of the Sutton Presbyterian Church, the members of the Gassaway organization formed a Ladies Aid Society, April 29, 1906. The meeting was at the home of Mrs. James A. Paterson, and officers elected were Mrs. James A. Paterson, president; Mrs. C.M. Ritchie, vice-president; Mrs. H.J. Snyder, secretary, and Mrs. S. Dumond, treasurer.
In 1910 and 1911, Senator Henry G. Davis built an elegant Presbyterian church at Gassaway at a cost exceeding $20,000. The church was erected as a memorial to his wife and is called the Davis Memorial Presbyterian Church. It was built of native stone.
The first meeting held in the Davis Memorial Church was July 2, 1911, for the purpose of electing a presiding elder and deacon, also trustees for the church property. A. Hostetler was elected elder and B.L. Hulm was elected deacon. B.S. Hulm, E.S. Woodley, Robert Waddell, and Dr. F.K. Vass were elected trustees.
June 15, 1913 the Reverend J.W. Rowe was chosen pastor of the church and served for a period of three years. Other pastors serving the church have been the Reverends P. Vanderkam, George H. Rector, H.A. Poole, C.R. Garrison, and F. Carl Davis, the present pastor.
Sponsored by: Braxton County Board of Education; The Town of Gassaway
O.O. Sutton, Area Supervisor; C.M. Byrne, Research Editor
Consultant and Adviser; C.R. Remage, Principal Gassaway High School
Mimeotyped May, 1942